We developed a Model Sun Safety Program that is based on the Plan-Do-Check-Act model for improvement. This six step process will help you build your own sun safety program. Each step includes "program elements" and considerations for sun safety.
- The Core step is about building a foundation for the sun safety program. In some approaches to the Plan-Do-Check-Act model, this phase is considered to be a pre-plan step or it can be included in the plan step.
- The Plan step is the basis for the program.
- The Do step is about implementation and operations. As this step includes many program elements, we have split it into two: Do-Control Measures and Do-Support.
- The Check step is about corrective action.
- The Act step is about ongoing review of the program and a commitment to continual improvement.
For each step, we have included a link to resources that support the "program elements", Tips from OHS Leaders, and Build Your Own Program Tips. These tips provide key issues to consider and actions to take when developing and implementing your Sun Safety Program.
In addition to the step-by-step description of our Model Sun Safety Program provided on this website, a detailed description of our approach to developing a Sun Safety Program is provided in Sun Safety at Work: A Management Systems Approach to Occupational Sun Safety which is available in the Resource Library or in printed copies through Amazon.